Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I am on a new kick to simplify my life! So what is the first thing I do, go out and buy a book titled Secrets of Simplicity. Ironic isn't it? The biggest goal I've set for myself is to simplify by way of not spending!

I've had the book for well over a week now and honestly it has inspired me. I still think practicing yoga has played a big role as well. I'm a spender through and through! And old habits die hard! I have however seen myself begin this transformation. Here is the silly, embarrassing, hard to put into print truth. I spend money on the dumbest things! Seriously, dumb crap! I'm a spender with a routine I've decided. By this I mean I have these strange rituals. 1. I go to Target. 2. I grab a cart. 3. I stand in line at the Starbucks. 4. I wander the store thinking about what I can possibly justify putting into my cart. 5. I then put items into the cart that I will probably use but not sure when. Mind you these aren't really "fun" things, more like shaving cream or a kitchen towel. 6. I checkout and leave.

This will happen again the next day, and the next and the next! WHY??? Why would a fairly confident, usually motivated, have plenty of things to do to keep her busy woman do this? I don't know if I'll ever know the why, I'm sure there is some deep rooted, ugly reason to the madness that can't possibly work it's way out without professional help or something! But, YEAH, I have my book and the beginnings of a real desire to change, maybe that will be enough. So maybe this week I won't roam Target aimlessly, I won't go to Starbucks daily or even twice daily, OUCH! Don't tell my husband about that one please! I won't buy stuff for Morelson that he'll never fit into by the time he gets here, and I won't continue to add to my stock pile of dish soap and ranch dressing. Oh I almost forgot, I also have an out of control need to eat out, and buy multiple colors of the same shirt that I really like that happens to be on sale! Okay, maybe that will have to come next week. I'm sure the shrink I don't have would tell me to take baby steps! Wish me well, I'm sure it's going to be a long work in progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment